When the weather turns cool, I think comfort foods. With a busy day ahead, I knew my crock pot would come in handy. Once again, it delivered, even with a power outage toward the end of its cycle!
Here’s a delicious recipe for beef stew which I have converted to gluten-free. To make it “with gluten”, use regular flour instead of the white rice and potato starch. The process and seasonings are the same.
We are very lucky to have quality beef right down the road, from Markegard Family Grass-Fed. The test is in the taste which truly delivered. It wasn’t too greasy, either, and was very tender.
The only real technique with this recipe is with the flouring of the beef and searing. The directions are very straight forward. Gather your ingredients and, in about 5 hours, dinner is served. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Beef Stew
2 Tablespoons white rice flour
2 Tablespoons potato starch
1/2-1 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt (add more salt or seasonings based on your taste; you can always add at the end)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2-1 teaspoon herbs de Provence or a combination of dried thyme and oregano
1 lb of stew meat, patted dry
1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
Optional: 2 Tablespoons of sherry, brandy or wine
2 cups beef broth
1 14-15 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 onion, chopped
3 carrots, cut into 1/4″ circles
1 pound Yukon gold or red potatoes, about 3 or 4, cubed
1 cup each fresh or frozen corn and peas, thawed slightly
1. Mix flour, starch, salt, pepper and herbs in a bowl with a lid or sealable plastic bag. Place beef inside, close lid or seal, and shake to coat.
2. Heat oil in pan to medium high heat. Place beef in pan, reserving the flour mixture. Cook meat 2-3 minutes on each side or until just browned. Optionally add sherry or wine and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Place broth, tomatoes, onions and carrots in a crock pot. Add 1 Tablespoon of reserved flour mixture (discard the remainder) and stir. Add beef. Cover and cook 2 hours on high or 5 hours on low.
4. Add potatoes and cook 30 additional minutes or until tender. Add corn and peas and cook 10 minutes or until heated.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings; it might need more salt at the end.